Friday, November 11, 2022

How then are we to preach?

 

As Fred Craddock reminds all us preachers, preaching is an oral event. It is not a written essay. Oral communication follows its own set of rules. There are things we can say or gestures we can add in oral communication that enhance and underscore the points we are making. For me, written sermons always sound like they are being read. If you insist on this method, let me point out a method that works. Memorize your sermon. Bishop John Coburn said that he never entered the pulpit without a manuscript in from of him, but then quipped, “but by then I had memorized it.” I have known several excellent preachers who do this, and they relate well to others. If you insist on reading sermons to your people, the greatest compliment you will ever receive is something like “wow, you preached that sermon today just like you weren’t reading it.” Preaching is an oral event.

Today I either use a “narrative outline” or no text at all. I follow Joseph Webb’s comment in “Preaching without notes” that a sermon prepared to preach without notes takes the same preparation as one with notes but follows with a different form of delivery.  It is never “speaking extemporarily.”  I especially appreciate Webb’s suggestion of using a metaphor as the key image around which one can build a sermon effectively. Again, I recommend Craddock’s forms of oral communication. These forms are natural ways to create a memorable sermon following an oral structure.

I am big on preaching authentically. This means that our head, our heart, and our will are in alignment. This produces congruency. Such preaching captures the congregation. There is, I think, too much head in Episcopal preaching. I think we have been taught to sound smart. It goes with our education and theological studies. Such preaching seldom touches the heart /emotions or the will/ desires. I often ask what I want my people to want after I preach. Paul consistently wanted his hearers to want a holy life.

To aid us in our ongoing work, I have a couple of suggestions.

1.     I used to keep a summary of all my year’s sermons with the date, place, and sermonic sentence. I watch carefully for unintended repetitions. Intended repetitive things are often good.

2.     I pay attention to the theme of the lessons for the day. I ask which of the readings best serves a sermon on that theme.

3.     I always ask what the “big idea” is contained in these lessons, and this leads me to both doctrine and theology.

And here are a couple of things that I would like to see added as resources for Episcopal Preachers.

1. A lectionary for new or revitalized congregations that cover in an 8-to-12-week period the major teachings of the Christian Church for new people.  Church planters would certainly benefit from this.

2.     A lectionary that allows for a series of sermons. After all, all but one season represents both a liturgical theme and a doctrine. More of Paul’s letters could be included in the Pentecost season. As one of my readers pointed out, the lectionary leans primarily on his introductions.

Finally, give yourself permission to experiment with your sermons both content and form. It will free you up in the pulpit, and it will challenge and reward your listeners.

let me end this series with my favorite quote from John Wesley:

            “Set yourself on fire in the pulpit and the whole world will come to watch you burn.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment