Monday, May 6, 2024

Leaders and Leadershing in the Faith Community Post #1

 

Leaders Take the Initiative

When I worked for the Diocese of Texas, I met with parish leaders in a congregation in crisis. Their Rector had recently left after a year of conflict with the lay leadership. The giving had fallen off and then suddenly the HAV system died. They asked for help and Bishop Payne sent me to meet with them.

For the past few years, this congregation’s representatives to the Diocesan Council had at the beginning of Council asked to be allowed to be seated even though they had not paid their Diocesan assessment for the past year. Texas had two assessments. The first covered the administrative costs of the bishop and his office and paying this was mandatory. If a parish did not pay this basic assessment, they were denied seating, voice, and vote at that Council. The second asking was for support of Diocesan programs and was more voluntary.

A congregation’s delegation could petition at the beginning of Council to suspend the requirement for that year and forgive the payment of the first assessment. This almost always passed because the other parishes recognized that congregations did at times face a crisis and nothing was gained by denying their participation. This particular congregation had used the action several years running and the Bishop did not want this pattern repeated.

After I was welcomed, the Senior Warden announced that Canon Martin had news to share. I smiled and said, “Actually, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the Bishop has arranged for a grant to solve the approximately $20,000 in needed repairs.” I then paused and added, “The bad news is the grant is dependent on your paying your full assessment for this past year.” With that announcement, I paused and waited.

Immediately the room erupted with objections. Several asked how the Bishop could be “so unchristian” as to demand this knowing how strapped the parish was financially. Finally, one person said, “There is no way that we can manage this financially.”  After another pause, I said, “I know a way to do it.”

I then asked, “Is the treasurer here tonight?” A man across from me nodded and responded, “I am.” I asked how much the assessment was for last year. He told me and I then said, “There are 11 of us in this room including me. If you divide the assessment by 11, how much is that?” He pulled out his calculator and punched in the numbers. Then announced, “$68.75 each.” I pulled out my check book while explaining that as a diocesan staff member, I was a part of their leadership. I wrote out a check for the $68.75 amount while adding, “Not everyone in this room may be able to give that exact amount, but some can give more.” I put my check down on the table.

There was dead silence. Finally, an older woman opened her purse and took out two $20 dollar bills. “This is from my tips at work,” she added. She put these down on top of my check. Another long pause followed. Then a vestry member sitting near me put his hand over the check and cash and said, “Canon Martin, I personally guarantee that we will send a check to the Diocese tomorrow for the full assessment. Several other smiled and nodded.  I responded, “Great.” After a further conversation about their needs, I said good night and left. I knew we would get their payment and that there would be no further requests from this congregation for the Council to suspend the requirement that their Assessment be paid.

What marks a leader from a follower?

When a problem or crisis arises in a community, the non-leaders complain and wring their hands indicating they don’t know what to do. The leaders step forward and take the initiative to find a solution. That woman with her $40 dollars was one. And the gentlemen who told me he guaranteed the assessment would be paid was another. Simply said, a leader takes the initiative when others won’t or can’t.

In my next blog, I will explore the question of whether leaders are born, or they learn how to become one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment